Saturday, September 25, 2010

Episode 1 - Friends

Year 1995

Parents have the obligations to ensure that their children receive the best in all aspects, in food, living and education. Therefore, they spent most of their time working hard to earn money, in order to provide the best for their children. Hence, they spent lesser and lesser time in taking care of their children, and that’s why, childcare services are blooming in these years.

There is this child-care center located in the eastern area of South Korea, Joah Childcare Centre. It was one of the most established childcare centers and many parents trust that they can bring up their children in the best way. Parents would drive in and drop their children before their work and pick them up after their work, every weekday. It is a cycle. Parents would kiss their children goodbyes and leave after their children disappear behind the gates.

Mommy, I’m sad here. A mushroom-hair girl teared as she sat alone at the backyard of the centre, alone. She is left out because of her poor Korean and her pronunciations. On top of that, she is mother-less. Her mother died a year before because of a heart attack. Since then, she became very introvert and reserved. The other teachers would encourage the other children to play with her, but all ended up in fights; hair pulling and crying. The kids would return to their usual self and mock at her while they are playing and having fun. That is why she spent most of her time at the backyard, playing and building sand castles. Things started to get better as a new girl enrolled into Joah.

“Hello. I’m Taeyeon. Can I play with you? The other kids wouldn’t play with me because I’m new and” she paused a while, looking at the ground while swaying her upper body before finishing her sentence, “short”.

The other girl looked up at the new person and stood up. “I’m Stephanie.” she held the other girl’s hand and pulls it down as she sit on the sand floor.

“Let’s build sand castle together.” Stephanie smiled as her eyes turn into the shape of a crescent.

“Okay!” Taeyeon was excited as she had found her new playmate.

That was the moment when two lonely souls met and became friends.

“Why are you playing alone at the backyard?”

“It’s because no one wants to play with me.” Sadness filled the words.

“I’m here Stephanie. So I will play with you.”

A frown on the girl’s face is quickly replaced with an eye-smile.

“How did you do that!?”

“How do I do what?”

“That! That smile. I want it too. Teach me!” Taeyeon said and attempted to mould her smile into the eye-smile that Stephanie has shown earlier with her index fingers. It was a pure entertainment of dorky-ness for Stephanie.

“It’s my genes. I got it from…” Stephanie stumbled with her words and finished with “my mother.”

“It’s pretty! I’m sad. Why doesn't my mummy smiled like that too?” Taeyeon attempted a few times of that smile but it was miserable. It looked as though she was suffering from constipation. She was waiting for a reply from Stephanie but no words came out of her mouth. Stephanie was spacing out with her hands moving randomly on the sand pile.

“Stephanie? Are you there?” Taeyeon poked the other girl’s waist and sounds of giggles escaped Stephanie’s lips.

“Why did you do that for?” Stephanie managed to complete her statement with gaps of giggling as Taeyeon continued her tickling attack.

“It is because you are not answering me?”

“Okay okay! I will answer you now. Please stop. Ha. Ha. Ha.”

Taeyeon withdrew her hands to her side and look at Stephanie.

“You have not called my name yet, Stephanie. Try calling me.”

“Taekwon? I’m not really good in Korean.”

“It’s Taeyeon”

“Teyeon?”

“No no. TAE-YEON”

“Can I call you Taetae? It’s easier that way.”

“Taetae? Alright alright, only for now. Practice my name at home okay?”

“I will Taetae!” once again, an eye smiled is formed on Stephanie’s face.

They molded and shaped the sand into castles and bridges. That moment passed so fast that for the first time, Stephanie was unwillingly to return home when her daddy was there to fetch her.

“Daddy, daddy. I don’t want to go home. I want to play with Taetae. Pleaseeeeeee” she dragged her last word while exploding her cuteness.

“You will be back tomorrow, darling. Now say goodbye to your new friend and tell her that you will see her tomorrow. Go on darling” he slightly pushed her daughter forward and signaled her to say goodbye.

“Taetae? My daddy is here. We will play together tomorrow right?” she needs to be ensured that Taeyeon is returning tomorrow so that they would play together, again.

“Yes Stephanie. I will see you tomorrow!” Taeyeon replied her new playmate’s question with enthusiasm.

Feeling assured, Stephanie waved her right hands above her head high towards Taeyeon while her father held her left hand, walking towards their car.

No comments:

Post a Comment