Saturday, September 25, 2010

Episode 4 – Birthday


“Mushroom! I’m not coming to Joah tomorrow.”

“Why? Are you sick?”

“Because it’s my birthday tomorrow! So I’m celebrating it with my parents at the amusement park!”

“Oh. I see.” Those are the only words that Stephanie can answer to Taeyeon’s statement. She is feeling bitter because her playmate is not coming to join her and she will be alone for one whole day.

“Are you not going to give me presents?”

“What would you like? I cannot afford anything expensive.”

“I love stars and blue!”

“Stars and blue?”

“Yes! Do you think there are blue stars in the sky?”

“I’m not so sure. How about pink stars? Although I only see the normal white one at night.”

“I hope there are both blue and pink ones! This way, the sky will be filled with colourful stars! I’m sure it’s going to be very beautiful.”

“I think so too. How do we colour stars?”

“I don’t know. We should ask someone right?”

“Yes Taetae. I think I should ask my daddy. That way, when you return I will be able to give you a blue star!”

“Really?! I really wanted one. Blue star.”

“I will try my best to get it for you , Taetae!”

___

-In Stephanie father’s car-

“Daddy! Are there blue stars in the sky?”

“No Steph, there aren’t any blue stars in the sky.”

“How about pink ones? I love pink!”

“There are only normal stars in the sky Steph, the white ones. Why are you asking this Steph?”

“Because Daddy, tomorrow is Taetae’s birthday and I want to give her something.”

“That’s easy Steph. How about folding one? Origami.”

“That’s cool! Why didn’t I think of it! Thanks daddy!” Stephanie leaned forward and kissed her daddy on his cheek.

“But how do you do one, Daddy?”

“I will teach you how to do it once we reach home okay?”

“okay Daddy!”

- Stephanie home-

“First, you will need specialized paper for folding stars. I got it somewhere here. Wait a while for me Steph while I go get it.” Stephanie’s father went into the store room and searched for the papers while Stephanie was sitting quietly at the living room waiting for this father’s return.

“There it is! I found it.” Stephanie fixed her vision upon her father who is walking towards her with a tiny stack of strips of paper.

“Why are the paper long and not rectangle?”

“It is because it is a special paper Steph. You can only make stars out of these papers. Okay now, I will teach you how to make one.”

Both father and daughter were so absorbed into folding the stars that it has already past dinner time.

“gosh! It has already past dinner time Steph! Not hungry? I better go grab something before you get a gastric. I will be right back okay Steph. Be good and stay here till I’m back.” Stephanie’s father kissed her daughter on her forehead before grabbing his car keys and wallet.

I must at least fold one!

It was not easy to fold a star for an eighth year old(Korean age). She tried her best while her father was out getting dinner, and finally after 15minutes of perseverance, she completed one blue star.

I bet she will love this blue star!

Not long after Stephanie completed folding her star, her father returned with the food for dinner.

“Daddy! I did it! It’s a blue star. Look!” Stephanie said to her father while jumping upwards with the folded stars in between her index and third finger.

“I’m so proud of you Steph! Come and have your dinner. You must be hungry.”

Throughout the dinner, Stephanie cannot help but to think how Taeyeon would react after Stephanie show the latter the blue star she folded.

___

-10th march-

“Taetae! You are here! Happy belated birthday!”

“Thanks mushroom. Where is my present?” a smile creep on Taeyeon’s face while she stretched out both her hands, hoping to receive her presents.

“You wanted a blue star right?”

“Yes! But my mummy said stars are only white in the sky.”

“I have got a blue star with me. Do you want it?” slowly, Stephanie faced turned into a eye-smile.

“Are you serious? How do you get it!? I want it!” this time, Taeyeon is really excited about her present. It was one which she longed to have.

“Here you go.” Stephanie placed her folded star into the palms of Taeyeon’s outstretched arm.

“This is a blue star! It is blue! And it’s a star! Thank you mushroom! You are the best!” Taeyeon hugged Stephanie and hopped around like a bunny.

“Do you like it?” Stephanie asked the birthday girl.

“I love it! I wish I can have more.”

“I will make you one on your birthday, each and every year. I promise.” Stephanie was delighted to know that her playmate liked her present so much.

“Are you serious? You are the best mushroom on earth!”

No comments:

Post a Comment